MILWAUKEE – Heading into the 2017-18 season, the MSOE men's basketball team lost an All-NACC First-Team selection for the fourth-straight campaign and, from the outside, there were question marks as to who would step up to fill the void.
With the graduation of Collin Seubert, the Raiders did not return a double-digit scorer from last season. Now, nearing the midway point of the season, they have three.
The triumvirate is led by sophomore Matthew Kirmse and his 15.6 points per game, who is netting in double-digits from three-point range alone. Senior Tegan Miles and junior Jason Palesse are also scoring at least 10 points per night, giving MSOE a balanced attack.
In Kirmse, head coach Brian Miller has a bona fide gunner, as he enters the week leading the NACC and tied for 24th in the country with 3.55 made three-pointers per game. He's scored in double-digits with at least one three-pointer in 10-of-11 games this season, has hit on multiple treys nine times, and four-or-more in seven games.
With 14 games remaining in the regular season, Kirmse just seven 3-pointers off his total from last year and 21 treys from cracking the program's top-10 list for career three-pointers.
This past weekend, he buried 11 three-pointers at the Cru Classic in Texas, helped the Raiders past Louisiana College with five on Thursday. He then hit six more when they took Mary Hardin-Baylor down to the wire on its home court Friday.
With Miles' post presence and Palesse's style, Kirmse rounds out the ways that the Red & White can score with their top unit. That balance has the team playing well, entering 2018 with a 5-2 league mark and in the thick of the NACC race.
Around MSOE Athletics…
- Men's Basketball split a pair of games in Texas last week, beating Louisiana College on a Jason Palesse buzzer-beater and falling to Mary Hardin-Baylor.
- Hockey dropped a pair of tough games at the Superior Showdown last weekend, including to Concordia-Moorhead on a goal with 7.1 seconds remaining in overtime.
- Women's Basketball went down fighting against Concordia Wisconsin in its lone game last week.
Coming Up This Week...
- Hockey (7-4-1, 4-2 / W1) hosts #1 St. Norbert Tuesday in a non-league contest before returning to NCHA play with a pair of home games against Marian Friday and Lawrence Saturday.
- Both Men's Basketball (6-5, 5-2 NACC / L1) and Women's Basketball (5-6, 3-3 / L2) are on the road twice in Illinois this week, at Aurora mid-week and in a doubleheader at Benedictine Saturday.
- Wrestling returns to action Saturday at the Dubuque duals against Dubuque, Otterbein, and MacMurray.
|Tuesday||Women's Basketball||@ Aurora*||7:00 PM||Video | Live stats|
|Tuesday||Hockey||St. Norbert||7:05 PM||Video | Live stats|
|Wednesday||Men's Basketball||@ Aurora*||7:00 PM||Video | Live stats|
|Friday||Hockey||Lawrence*||7:05 PM||Video | Live stats|
|Saturday||Wrestling||@ Dubuque Duals||11:00 AM|
|Saturday||Men's Basketball||@ Benedictine*||2:00 PM||Video | Live stats|
|Saturday||Hockey||Marian*||4:00 PM||Video | Live stats|
|Saturday||Women's Basketball||@ Benedictine*||4:15 PM||Video | Live stats|
|* Conference Contest | Home Contests in BOLD|