MILWAUKEE – Freshman Helton Vandenbush is coming off a first-place showing for the Wrestling team at the Al Hanke Invitational, continuing a standout rookie season.
We covered his start after three weeks and he has simply continued to win.
This past weekend, Vandenbush won four matches to post his second tourney win of the season and has now won seven-straight matches to reach the 20-win mark for the season. In five tournaments this season, he's placed three times and boasts a 20-6 record.
In getting his career off to such an auspicious start, he's done it by putting in the work. In his 26 matches, 23 have gone the distance with one going to sudden victory. He's also posted three shutouts among his 19 decision victories.
He is the first freshman to reach 20 wins for the Raiders since Luis Hernandez (27 wins) and Devin Mahnke (23) each eclipsed the mark in 2014-15. Vandenbush will also crack the top-10 in program history for wins by a freshman with his next victory.
Freshman Drew Matticks, who we also featured in December, is also closing in on his 20th win. He also advanced to the first-place match at the Hanke Invitational, placing three times at four tournaments this season. His weekend pushed his record to 15-6 this season.
Around MSOE Athletics…
- Men's Basketball posted decisive wins over Concordia Chicago and Dominican to remain in first place in the NACC by a game over Aurora and Benedictine.
- Women's Basketball suffered a pair of losses to Concordia Chicago and Dominican last week.
- Hockey is coming off a tough road trip with a pair of losses to Northland and St. Scholastica.
- Wrestling took ninth out of 12 teams at the Al Hanke Invitational, led by Helton Vandenbush in first place at 174#, Drew Matticks in second at 165#, and Duncan Heath in fourth at 197#.
- Track & Field opened the 2018 indoor season at the Private College Invitational with both teams taking third place. Jerica Kotrarak (LJ/TJ), Jessica Bilskie (55H), and Nick Bath (3000m) all won events.
Coming Up This Week...
- Men's Basketball (10-5, 9-2 NACC / W4) and Women's Basketball (5-10, 3-7 / L6) have road games at Concordia Wisconsin mid-week before hosting Aurora in a doubleheader Saturday.
- Wrestling has duals at UW-Oshkosh Thursday and at home against Lakeland Friday.
- Track & Field competes at UW-Parkside's Ranger Relays Friday.
- Hockey (8-8-1, 4-6 / L4) is home this weekend for games against #4 Adrian and Trine.
|Tuesday||Women's Basketball||@ Concordia Wisconsin*||7:00 PM||Live stats | Video|
|Wednesday||Men's Basketball||@ Concordia Wisconsin*||7:00 PM||Live stats | Video|
|Thursday||Wrestling||@ UW-Oshkosh||7:00 PM||Video|
|Friday||Track & Field (M/W)||@ Ranger Relays||2:30 PM|
|Friday||Hockey||Adrian*||7:05 PM||Video | Live stats|
|Saturday||Hockey||Trine*||4:00 PM||Video | Live stats|
|Saturday||Women's Basketball||Aurora*||5:00 PM||Video | Live stats|
|Saturday||Men's Basketball||Aurora*||7:15 pm||Video | Live stats|
|* Conference Contest | Home Contests in BOLD|