MILWAUKEE – In a span of two weeks, the MSOE Athletic Department expects to celebrate two notable milestones among its coaching ranks:
300 career coaching wins for Men's Basketball coach Brian Miller and 250 wins at MSOE for Hockey coach Mark Ostapina.
Coach Miller reached #300 last Tuesday when his team came back to defeat Marian at the Kern Center. His record includes stints at Lakeland and Concordia Chicago before racking up 215 wins leading the Red & White.
What makes Miller's journey interesting is that he actually coached against MSOE, posting an 11-5 record against his future program including what had to have been an exhilarating 148-102 shootout win in his first season at Lakeland.
For Coach Ostapina, he enters a home-and-home series with Concordia Wisconsin this weekend sitting on 249 wins at MSOE. He surpassed 300 career wins late last season and now has 312. That puts his 77th in NCAA history for career wins and 24th among active NCAA men's hockey coaches.
With #250 looming, it's important to note that Ostapina is already on record the winningest coach in MSOE Athletics history. Miller's 215 wins are the second-most recorded wins.
Both coaches have led their Raider teams to unprecedented success. One of the oldest programs in department history, Men's Basketball had just one winning season in team history before Miller came on board. Since then, MSOE has 10 seasons of .500-or-better in 13 years.
Hockey began as a varsity sport in 1994 but had just 24 wins from 1998-2001 when it started scheduling only varsity programs. Ostapina came on board in 2001 and, after three seasons, the program had a three-year run in which it averaged 20 wins a season.
The long-time program heads are the elder statesman of a department that features 15 head coaches. In fact, the remaining 13 coaches are in their first collegiate head coaching positions. While that is the case, they are not the only ones to have found success.
MSOE currently has five programs that are being led by their all-time winningest coach. Two of those coaches, head Women's Soccer coach Rolf Zersen and head Men's Soccer coach Jimmy Banks, will look to close in on milestone victories themselves next season. Zersen is six wins shy of 150 for his career and Banks needs 14 victories for 200. Meanwhile, Sean Farrell is entering his fifth season leading the Lacrosse team in 2018 and has 23 of the program's 25 all-time wins.
Around MSOE Athletics…
- Men's Basketball beat Marian in dramatic fashion Tuesday before being unable to repeat the magic Saturday in falling to Wisconsin Lutheran in overtime.
- Women's Basketball beat Marian Wednesday on a Jamie Spanbauer layup with 1.3 seconds remaining before losing Saturday at WLC.
- Hockey 3-of-4 points last weekend, skating to a 1-1 tie at Lake Forest and routing Aurora 4-1 at home.
- Wrestling had a pair of wrestlers place in their weights after sending Raiders to the Pete Willson Invite and Harper College Open. Austin Bellile went 4-0 before suffering an injury and settled for sixth place in the 285-pound bracket at the Willson and Helton Vandenbush was third at 174 pounds at Harper.
- Track & Field had another strong weekend to start the season. The Women's team posted three more wins, including Lea Buchholz (pentathlon) at the Tadd Metzger Invite and both Rachel Lynde (high jump) and Jerica Kotarak (triple jump) at the UW-Platteville Select.
Coming Up This Week...
- Men's Basketball (12-7, 11-4 NACC / L1) and Women's Basketball (7-12, 5-9 / L1) each host Edgewood mid-week before playing a doubleheader against Benedictine Saturday. The Men are one game back of BenU in the NACC standings.
- Hockey (10-9-2, 6-7-1 / W1) hosts a home-and-home weekend series with Concordia Wisconsin, kicking off at home Friday. That will be the final regular season home game of the season.
- Track & Field heads to Ripon for the Redhawk Invitational Saturday
- Men's Tennis kicks off the 2018 season with a road match Saturday at North Central and at home against Lawrence.
|Tuesday||Women's Basketball||Edgewood*||7:00 PM||Video | Live stats|
|Wednesday||Men's Basketball||Edgewood*||7:00 PM||Video | Live stats|
|Friday||Hockey||Concordia Wisconsin*||7:00 PM||Video | Live stats|
|Saturday||Track & Field (M/W)||@ Red Hawk Invitational||All Day|
|Saturday||Men's Basketball||Benedictine*||2:00 PM||Video | Live stats|
|Saturday||Men's Tennis||@ North Central||3:00 PM|
|Saturday||Women's Basketball||Benedictine*||4:15 PM||Video | Live stats|
|Saturday||Hockey||@ Concordia Wisconsin*||7:00 PM||CUW Video | Live stats | MSOE Audio|
|Sunday||Men's Tennis||Lawrence||1:00 PM|
|* Conference Contest | Home Contests in BOLD|