MILWAUKEE – Over the past three seasons, the MSOE men's volleyball team has benefited from an All-American setter directing the offense but the coaching staff has known all along of a true embarrassment of riches at the position.
Quin Krisik was named the MCVL Offensive Player of the Year last season and was always among the national leaders in assists while being near the team lead in digs, aces, and blocks. He also attacked incredibly efficiently (.341) with 1.35 kills per set last season.
Krisik has taken an internship this season and will not play his true senior campaign. Head coach Shane Reid isn't worried.
Senior Andrew Miller has bided his time and shown the coaching staff what he can do in practice and limited time directing the offense. They were very comfortable that the team was in good hands should Krisik get injured. The thing is, he didn't.
In 2018, however, Miller is getting his chance. He's also showing everybody else the kind of depth at setter the program has really had all this time.
To come in and drive the Raider offense is not an easy task. MSOE was a high-volume attack last season when it led the nation with 13.31 kills per set. Also, a bevy of established and young talented hitters and middles returned this season, so setting for this squad is really not for the faint of heart.
Step in Miller. He's played in three of the first four matches this season (he did not play against CUW last Friday in order to get freshman Jacob Bentz some game time). He currently leads the nation with 11.40 assists per set, which is 0.31 a/s better than second place.
The depth and skill returning up and down the roster mean that Miller does not have to do everything that Krisik did. Rather, he just has to direct the offense, which is something the team has always been confident in his ability to do.
Reid, his staff, and the team have their sights high this season after winning a school-record 20 matches last season. It's the first year of men's volleyball in the NACC and the Raiders want that first championship (and the program's first since 2010).
You'd think that losing your All-American setter would derail those plans a bit. MSOE is not worried because it has Miller driving the offense and keeping it right on track.
Around MSOE Athletics…
- Men's Basketball split road games at Concordia Chicago (Win) and Rockford (Loss) last week.
- Women's Basketball rebounded from a mid-week loss at Concordia Chicago with a decisive rout of Rockford.
- Wrestling placed fifth at the CCIW Championships behind championships from Austin Bellile (285#) and Helton Vandenbush (174#).
- Hockey closed out the regular season with head coach Mark Ostapina's 250th MSOE win Saturday at Trine, 2-1.
- Track & Field performed well at the tough UW-Platteville Invitational.
- Men's Tennis fell in matches to St. Thomas and St. Norbert Saturday at SNC.
- Hockey is the #4 seed in the NCHA South Division and plays a Harris Cup Quarterfinals series at Adrian Friday and Saturday.
- Men's Basketball clinched a top-3 seed in the NACC Tournament. The Raiders can nab the #2 seed with a win Saturday and two Aurora losses this week. The #3 seed hosts #6 Tuesday at 7 p.m.
Coming Up This Week...
- Men's Basketball (14-9, 13-6 NACC / L1) takes a break from league play to host future NACC team Illinois Tech Wednesday The Raiders then host Wisconsin Lutheran Saturday in the regular season finale.
- Women's Basketball (9-14, 7-11 / W1) play at Alverno Tuesday and cap the season against Wisconsin Lutheran at home Saturday.
- Men's Volleyball (3-1 / W2) faces a tough week with matches against ranked teams Dominican Friday and Carthage Saturday.
- Track & Field goes to the UWM Panther Tune-Up for its final warm-up before the NACC Championships.
- Men's Tennis hosts Carroll Saturday in search of its first win of the season.
|Tuesday||Women's Basketball||@ Alverno*||7:00 PM||Video | Live stats|
|Wednesday||Men's Basketball||Illinois Tech||7:00 PM||Video | Live stats|
|Friday||Hockey||@ Adrian||6:05 PM||Live stats|
|Friday||Men's Volleyball||Dominican*||7:00 PM||Video | Live stats|
|Saturday||Men's Volleyball||Carthage||10:00 AM||Video | Live stats|
|Saturday||Track & Field (M/W)||@ UWM Panther Tune-Up||10:00 AM|
|Saturday||Men's Basketball||Wisconsin Lutheran*||2:00 PM||Video | Live stats|
|Saturday||Men's Tennis||Carroll*||2:00 PM|
|Saturday||Hockey||@ Adrian||2:05 PM||Live stats|
|Saturday||Women's Basketball||Wisconsin Lutheran*||4:15 PM||Video | Live stats|
|* Conference Contest | Home Contests in BOLD|